Thursday, October 21, 2010

And that's why I'm here

I've been trying to study and pepare for a talk that I'm giving in church on sunday. The topic... "The harvest is safely in."

So I've been thinking and pondering on it for days now and today I've been trying to collect my thoughts and get them all put together in a logical order...

And I am oh SO distracted! First of all it's not exactly the easiest topic and second of all, I kind of fell tonight and banged up my right shin and my left foot. The combo is great. Can't really walk. Can't really limp. Can't really sit because the foot starts to swell. Can't concentrate, because, well because I'm distracted!

And that's why I'm here. Blogging instead :)

Funny story though that I just remembered I wanted to write down. (See this, inspiration flowing about any and everything except my talk!)

Craig has had very little interest in eating lately. And when he is at the table he usually has a toy or two with him. Not my favorite thing but I was hoping that it would help the "meal time" which is not so fun to him be more of a positive in his life and not a negative on top of a negative. That was the thought anyways. But it's gotten to the point where he is playing constantly with them and by the time K.C. and I are done and clearing the table he's still only had 2 bites.

So we decided that something had to be done. I explained it to him and told him that if he kept playing with his toys at meal time then we were going to have to have a new rule and not bring the toys to the table anymore because they were distracting.

His response was "I'm not distracted! I'm focused!"

(What? Who taught him that?)

Then he proceeded to quote from his Mater the Greater book.
"And cars came from all around to watch his stunts! But Mater the Greater wasn't distracted! He was focused! I'm focused too mama!"

Now that is cute enough to smile about! And I'm happy to say that he actually has been quite focused and has left his toys alone (they watch him carefully to make sure he's eating) until he's done. Then he tells me he's done and asks if he can have the toys.

Sometimes being a mom is SO difficult and sometimes, well, sometimes it melts your heart and makes you glow with pride. It's little things like that or coming and sweetly asking if he can go outside, because he knows I want to know where he is. Or when he's running to and fro in the house and stops long enough to tell me he loves me. When he's confronted with a decision that we've talked about and he considers it carefully and then makes the right one! Or waking up to find me sleeping on the floor because he's kicked me out of my bed and crawling down on the floor with me and cuddling up next to me saying "Mama, I just want to sleep by you. I love you." that make me think. Yes this is a good life. And it really is. I have a wonderful life. I'm really grateful that I have so much to be grateful for. And I'm glad for the little reminders that the little things truly are the big things!

1 comment:

  1. HA HA The last several posts sound SO familiar somehow! (At least, the underlying idea...) You know how in movies the heroine makes a huge effort to accomplish the goal and then there are snapshot scenes spanning a period of time while music plays in the background? And then there's the final achievement and The End! Everything is DONE and the "happily ever after" takes care of itself. Sometimes that sounds so nice! :) Then I realize... hmm, every day of my life is going to be the "snapshot scenes with music in the background"! Funny how life goes - I think you're doing GREAT, however!

    ReplyDelete