Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Red Cross

K.C. and I went and donated blood at the Red Cross. It was actually one of the funniest things that has happened to me this week. It was just us and 3 people in white lab coats. I have always wondered why they wear white lab coats. Is it a status thing? Do you have to have a certain level of education, or is it seniority? I have never known and always wondered. Not everyone wears them but the people that I have seen wear them I haven't found the connection. Anyways, I asked one of them and their response killed me. "I've never thought of that! I have no idea!" They were wearing it and they had no clue why!? They said they were going to go home and google it.

Anyways we got all hooked up and then the two people working on us aparently were racing because they were like:

"Oh man she's gonna win! She's catching him!"
"No way he's totally got her beat, AND he's got a 30 second head start."

So we raced, with steady commentary from the doctors. In the end I won. So now I can proudly boast a bleed time of 4 min 11 sec and K.C. has a bleed time of 4 min 45 sec. It was so funny. Then she gave me this spill about all the of the medical instructions and it seriously sounded like an auctioneer and a poor one at that with the inflections in all the wrong places. All in all it was quite the experience. And now I know if I'm bleeding at home that I don't have much time so get help quick. Is it really a good thing to have a fast bleed time? I mean really.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you -- donating blood is something I do NOT like to do since I have what they call "petite veins" and I need special needles, etc. I went for my friend in Boston who worked at the blood donor center. The best thing that came from the experience was I found out my blood type, AB+, which they told me meant I had "gold in my veins." Did you find out yours? Cute pics and wallpaper, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, my dad and I used to go give blood together and race. He would start like 2 minutes before me and I would finish first. my blood runs fast..... :)

    ReplyDelete