Saturday, May 29, 2010

1 week old

She's been here for a week and we are having so much fun getting to know her! She eats great (and I'm even starting to feel like I'm not going to be sore forever!) and she sleeps really good too. I've felt pretty rested and have been recovering very well.
I'm tired of laying on my back and I'm kind of sore from that, but it could be worse. We went to the Pediatrician to get her PKU test done and he was amazed that her cord had already fallen off and that she hadn't lost any weight either. She even grew 2.5 inches! Ok so after he measured her he saw that there was a 2.5 in difference and his response was "one of these measurements is wrong." No "lets measure again and make sure we got ours right" no no, just rest assured that one of these measurements is not accurate! End of story.

So here are the stats from the Dr.

Weight: 8lbs 4oz
Length: 22 3/4 inches

Curiosity got the better of me so I measured her again at home...TWICE just for kicks. Turns out the midwife was right she was and still is:

20 1/4 inches long! 

I just wonder though, how in the world do you get a measurement off by 2.5 inches! That's actually quite the discrepancy for such a short measurement. Not sure how they did it.

Sad story:
When we got to the appointment we thought it would be a good idea to explain to Craig what was going on so that he would be prepared for it. NOT a good idea! He started crying, crumpled up on K.C.'s shoulder and just sobbed. Remember our experience with WIC?  Apparently he didn't. (I was going to link to the post about it but I guess there isn't one! So if you don't know the story I'd be happy to tell you!)

"I don't want them to poke Savannah! 
That is a bad decision! 
That will make me cry! 
Then she will have a hole in her foot and she will bleed! 
Her blood should not come out!"

The only thing that could get him happy again was knowing that when we got in there he could ask the nurse not to do it and see what she said. And sure enough as soon as we got inside he started asking me who he had to talk to to get them to not poke Savannah. (I think it's cute how he takes such good care of her! He's already a protective big brother!)

We decided that because the whole point of going was to get the PKU test done and we weren't actually going to stop them that Craig and I should hang out in the hall so he wouldn't have to watch. I think it was better for me too! So when the nurse came in with the needle we headed out. It worked pretty good he was distracted by the pictures and not too concerned about her.

When we got home Craig saw her Band-aid and then he got mad. 

"That nurse didn't even let me stop her! 
She poked baby sister! 
That was a bad bad decision. 
Mama, she should have a bad consequence, she should be in time out! 
Go tell her mama, tell her to go to time out!"

That's my 2 yr old! I'm used to him saying things like that and so it seems normal to me but when I stop and think about it I'm a pretty proud parent. I think it's actually amazing how well he communicates and how much he can say and do. And how well he understands what I try to tell him. I think he understands a lot more than I give him credit for! I hope he rubs off on his sister. He's an amazing little boy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Craig is so sweet! What a good brother.

    And I have to say, according to our doctor's office, Julia shrunk 6 inches in the last 6 months. Uh, 6 inches is a lot. Really, I think it was a clerical error, because I don't remember the number being so high at her 18 month appointment (off the charts! 100%ile!), but still. Kind of ridiculous. Oh, and she "shrunk" a week after she was born. Basically, they don't measure well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that was the cutest thing I've ever heard! What a sweet little boy. That is a great journal story.

    ReplyDelete