Thursday, September 2, 2010

New Traditions and Birthday Fun

This year I decided that I wanted to have lots of fun birthday traditions. I found a really awesome idea on a blog called secrets of a super mommy, so I put it into action. And I loved it!

First of all I made the birthday countdown board. I've heard of people doing "birthday weeks" before but I never really liked the idea until I saw this and it made sense how it could be fun and not overwhelming. I've wanted birthdays to be special because they are fun, not because you get a ton of presents. But I wasn't sure exactly how to go about doing that. This just happens to be the perfect solution for our family! It's simple and fun and memorable and works for any age! love, love LOVE it!

The board:

His name is at the top (Daddy's name is on the other side and there's a separate one for us girls. That way we can all use this board on our birthdays :)





Then there are he numbers that count down the last 6 days before his birthday. (I'm so amazed that I actually LOVE the way it all turned out.)



Then he gets to pick dinner every night too. It was pretty hillarious! He picked Ligits (Li-Gets) for dinner and it was a funny thing trying to figure out what a ligit was!


Then across the bottom is a row of cards that have a fun activity for each day.

One of the traditions was Put his birthday table cloth and chair cover (I made the chair cover) on and have people sign and date the table cloth. Then it can be pulled out on their birthday every year and added to.

(my first attempt at button holes ever! It was actually pretty fun - thanks to my mom, she walked me through it over the phone! But after I was done sewing them I had a blister on my finger because the knob that you twist to change the settings was SO hard to turn! But I think they look pretty good)


And lastly there is a bag hanging on the bottom that had a small present in it every morning. He LOVED this! He would make sure the bag was empty ever night and then hang it carefully on the peg. It was fun to see his eyes light up when he realized it wasn't empty in the morning! Such fun.

(love the Lightning McQueen PJ's and bag! I think it's cute how much he loves Cars!)

I'm so pleased with how it all turned out. I was making things last minute, trying to pull everything together and hoping that it would be fun for Craig. Miraculously I managed to get everything done, make everything and have it ready in time to do it. (even if that meant I finished it seconds before we put it to use!) But still. I did it! And I think that we all had a great time!

Oh and on their birthday you turn the board around and this is what it looks like:

P.S. I still can't believe I made it! :) it was so much fun.
Well there's lots more birthday updates and Savannah updates but bed is calling my name and so I'll have to try again later!

6 comments:

  1. That's amazing Est! It turned out so great looking! No wonder Craig liked it: cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaahhhh, that is so stinking cute! I want to make one, too! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I guess I'm gonna have to adopt, so I can try out your cute ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'm flattered. First of all that you're so impressed but secondly that you actually READ my blog! AND comment ;) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete