Saturday, June 27, 2009

Big Boy Bed

Last night was Craig's first night in a big boy bed. We went from this: (OK so I was going to put a picture of Craig's crib here, but, well. I don't have one. I thought for sure in the almost 2 years that we've had it I would have taken a picture of it! Not a one! (and yes that means I went through just about everyone of them!)

So here's the best we've got. You can see some of the rail in the back and the skirt! I could take a picture of the empty frame but there's not even a mattress in it right now.


I thought it was kinda cute that the only pictures I could find with the crib in it were ones with him praying! He's such a cute little kid!

Craig's new big boy bed!!!
Fort by day (on the top) bed by night (bottom)
















LIES! All of it!

I WISH that was his new bed! And I think that eventually we will work towards making one like it. But the truth is this: His crib was just not safe for him to sleep in anymore. The side would fall down quite easily and then it was only about, oh lets see, waist high!

He climbs all over everything now and I was just sure that he would fall out of his crib. Also it was a $20 yard sale crib to begin with, we were blessed to have it but it's missing some of the springs on the bottom that hold the mattress and all of the joints are starting to get more rickety.

We thought about getting a new one but really that would be ridiculous because he wouldn't use it for that much longer anyways and then we'd have to get a bed still.

The other dilemma: Due to our current financial situation we simply can not afford a bed. Even if we were to make it.

So the solution:

Craig gets to sleep on the floor.There are some pros to this I suppose.
As he's learning about sleeping on just a bed he won't get hurt if he falls off. Which we learned is very valuable because half way through the night we heard a loud 'thump' when we went to see what had happened he was way up in the corner behind the chair. The only thing we can figure is he kicked the chair and it hit the wall.

So tonight we're trying a new arrangement:
We'll see how this one works.

I would dearly love to have a real bed for him. It makes me sad to have him on the floor. I'm trying to think about the pros and stay positive but it's one of those things that I want to be able to give him the best and sometimes I can't.

But hey at least he has a mattress right? And he's certainly not going to fall 4 feet and land on his head. So I guess I can call myself a good mother for that part and not think about the rest.

2 comments:

  1. Sending your kid to sleep on the floor would be a big deal if there were no mattress, a dirt floor, drafts, and bugs. But in a world with carpet, mattresses, and nice houses, who needs a fancy bed? I've got a friend who is married and has 2 kids and their bed sits right on the floor.

    In what way would having a 'real bed' be any better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the SAME bedding set. I bought an extra dust ruffle and 2 animal print sheets. We LOVE it! Oh, we also have the wall hangings. :D

    ReplyDelete